Coe College > Stewart Memorial Library > George T. Henry College Archives > Digital Exhibits > Aerials of Coe College Campus
Aerials of Coe College Campus Spanning 70 Years
Click on images to enlarge
1869
1869
Map of Cedar Rapids (1869) shows the original 80 acres purchased by Daniel Coe. The parcel of land is outlined by the rectangle which divides College Block and ends in the Fair grounds. The main campus was built on College Block, for orientation Iowa Ave. is today known as First Avenue.

1869
1930s
1930s
The earliest aerial of Coe's campus shows Eby Field House (1930) at the top of the photograph. In front of Eby, in the middle of campus, is Stewart Memorial Library (1931). Voorhees Hall, built in two parts, 1915 and 1918, is on the right of the library followed by the Old Gym. The Old Gym (1904) later became the Women's Gym and the Little Theatre. Next to the Old Gym, in the right corner of campus, is the Carnegie Hall of Science built in 1910. To the left and behind the science hall is T.M. Sinclair Chapel (1911). Toward the back of Sinclair Chapel and to the left is Marshall Hall (1900). In the left hand corner of campus sits Old Main (1868). As the first building on campus Old Main housed the dormitory, president’s suite, class rooms, and the bookstore. The top floor was especially busy as it housed the chapel, the library, and the basketball court. Behind Old Main sitting on the left edge of campus is Willston Hall built in 1882, which served as the women's dormitory and dining hall.

1930s
1940s
1940s
Green hall, the mirror image of Voorhees, is visible for the first time in this aerial. The men's dormitory was built in 1939. This is the last aerial where the T.M. Sinclair Memorial Chapel is visible. The chapel burnt down on September 5, 1947.

1940s
1950s
1950s
Williston Hall was replaced by Hickok Hall in 1950 and in 1951 the new Sinclair Memorial Chapel was built. The square building, next to Eby Field House, is the R.O.T.C. Armory.

1950s
1961-1965
1961-1965
Marshall Hall was demolished in 1956 making way for Marquis Hall. Marquis was built on the back of Sinclair Chapel in 1959. The new dormitory, Freshman Hall, was built on the top left of campus in 1961. Freshman Hall was Later renamed Armstrong and Douglas.

1961-1965
1966
1966
The campus is going through big changes in this aerial. Murray Hall, the tallest building on campus, was built in 1966 along with Gage Memorial Union which sits to the right of the Stewart Memorial Library. 1966 also saw the expansion of Eby Field House. The Old Gym, known as the TUB (Temporary Union Building), has been demolished to make way for Peterson Hall, the new science building.

1966
1967-1970
1967-1970
The completion of Coe Road in 1966 made it possible to remove B Avenue, which once ran through the center of campus in front of the Stewart Memorial Library. Coe Road re-routed traffic around campus. In 1968 Peterson hall was completed, and in 1976 the Carnegie Hall of Science (old science building) was renamed Stuart Hall.

1967-1970
1970s
1970s
Dows Fine Arts Center, constructed in 1974, replaces Old Main which was removed in 1971. No two walls in Dows form a right angle.

1970s
1980s
1980s
The Natatorium (swimming pool) was built onto the Eby Field House in 1980.

1980s
1997
1997
Clark Racquet Center is visible across the street from Eby Field House, next to Clark Field. The Racquet Center was dedicated in 1989. Across the street from Peterson Hall and set back from the street, Clark Alumni House (1993) is visible.

1997
See also: Coe College Buildings ~ Coe Films ~ Coe Songs ~ and other Digital Exhibits